Friday, February 14, 2014

Hoop Movement & Dance: More Than Just a Fitness Fad


Five years ago, I was just entering college to study Massage Therapy.  I’d been out of high school for a few years, living on my own, working in retail and was quite frankly, pretty unhappy about the whole thing.  My return to college and my eventual career saved me from death by boredom.


And hula hooping saved me from death by stress.

Working and going to college at the same time was, to say the least, difficult.  I can attest to many a night pouring over anatomy flash cards, physiology flow charts and high-lighted notes blurred by the onslaught of tears because I needed to pass this test. 

I had given up going to belly dance classes in order to go to school, and that worked for about six months until I realized, I need dance.  Going to Dundas by HSR wasn’t gonna work for me, however, so I found a new studio.  But it wasn’t belly dance I wound up taking.

I found hoop dance instead.

I remember the first time I watched the class thinking “what the heck is hoop dance?” and then thinking “oh my god I’m a hoop dancer,  I want one where do I get one it’s so sparkly want want wantwantwant!”  I probably got emotional during my first class, and definitely cried when I watched my first hoop dancing video on repeat, for about 2 weeks.  Even now, just hearing the song makes my tear ducts squeeze a little.  I bought my first hoop at my second class.

During the week before exams, I would spread my notes on the floor, with all their multi-coloured stickies, high lighters, and very important diagrams, and would dance them to shreds.  I would spin until I learned how to not get dizzy.  This spiral taught me a lot, but mostly it taught me to just let it happen.  Everything follows everything else and no amount of cramming two days before the big test would give me any additional edge.

But blowing off some steam would ensure I walked into that test room cool as a cucumber.  So spinning and dancing and music became my pre-test rituals.  It kept me sane, level, ready.

Hoop dance became my prayer, my centre, my source.  Through hoop dance, I found balance and confidence.  It was my way and it could not be wrong.

And now, 6 years later, everything is following everything else.  My career is happening – I’m an RMT.  And the spiral is teaching me more about myself.  I am an artist.  I can say, I never saw that coming.  But I am.  As I spin further and further into the spiral, I find myself building Circus Trees and performing with The Hamilton Aerial Group.  I am challenged daily, personally and physically, by this journey and every step I get stronger.

Hoop dance has been a transformative experience.  Through hoop dance I have freed myself from the bonds of my history, freed myself from the wrong impressions I had of who and what I am.  I have released the ideas of what I am not, and have begun to explore what I am.

I am an artist.  A woman.  A dancer.  I am a sensitive soul with the will to fight and the strength to love.

I have had the notion of teaching Hoop Dance for several years, and have cultivated what I need to fill that role.  And I’m (getting) ready to take you on the journey down the spiral.  In 2014 I will be launching Wild Women’s Circular Movement at Hamilton’s newest (as yet un-named at the time of this article writing) yoga and movement studio on Main St E at walnut.  Keep up to date with developments on my website and facebook page.  And look for me around town.  I’m the one with the hoops.


Jen Fleming

Jen “Hoop Weaver” Fleming is an RMT in the Hamilton area and performer with The Hamilton Aerial Group.  She has attended festivals as a hoop maker and recently begun exploring performance arts.  She is a cat lover, nature enthusiast and daily hoop spinner.  Visit her online at www.hoopweaver.weebly.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HoopWeaver .



No comments: