Monday, July 8, 2013

Mind Over Matter

By: Katie McClelland

Yoga practice asks that we look at the relationship between the mind and the body and invites us to question our self-imposed limitations or beliefs.

To illustrate the power of the mind, two stories come to mind. Last week while I was in yoga class, as we transitioned into Ardha Chandrasana (half moon pose), my usual inner dialogue started “This pose is easy on this leg, it’s the other side I have trouble with”.  

I felt strong and steady because I BELIEVED I was practicing on my ‘good’ side - this was in fact not the case. As soon as I realized I had mistaken which side we were on, I started to wobble, and eventually fell! I had to laugh at how my mind could so cunningly steer me toward different realities.
 
The other incident occurred last winter. I was getting over an illness and facing one of my busiest teaching days. My energy was depleted and I felt mounting anxiety in anticipation of the four classes I had yet to teach. “How am I going to get through this? I’m so exhausted I can barely move!” and so on.... The drama in my mind (which felt very real) continued to escalate. 

Then, all of a sudden, we were hit with a severe snowstorm. It became clear we would have to close the studio. I would not have to teach after all! Immediately my fatigue vanished and I felt full of energy! The exhaustion was completely created by my mind - exhaustion at the mere THOUGHT of future events that hadn’t even occurred yet! If I had been able to stay present, I would’ve realized I had all the energy I needed.

Spiritual teachings sometimes seem to imply we should shun the thinking mind (or ego). The mind, however, is a fascinating and marvelous tool. 

In fact, if we are able to realize that we are not the mind, but the observer watching the mind, we can use this tool in any way we desire - to solve problems, to express our creative potential and to persevere through difficult situations. Recognize that YOU are in charge, not your mind.

To tap in to the infinite possibility and limitless energy available only in the present moment, simply take a moment to close your eyes and tune in to the natural flow of your breath. 

Do not alter the breath but instead watch the breath breathe you. Breathe as if enjoying a blissful sleep. Watch the breath enter your body and feel your belly expand. Notice the peaceful pause at the top of the breath, full of potential and space, and then allow the breath to fall spontaneously, leaving your body without any effort on your part. 

Again, notice the pause at the bottom of the exhale, and the profound silence found here. As you watch the breath, be aware of your physical body and any sensations, noticing without judging. Just a minute or two of this simple meditation can help you completely relinquish your attachment to the past and the future – neither of which are real. 

After all, your past is your limited perception of events and the future hasn’t happened yet! So much energy is wasted when we spend time in these realms. Tuning into the breath and the body is the quickest and most effective way to drop the stories that are draining your energy, and to step  fully into the present moment.
 
Katie 

Katie McClelland, Owner, Director-De La Sol Yoga
(905)540-3569  •  430 York Blvd  •  Katiesolyoga@gmail.com

No comments: